Updated August 2023
Hungary, a country nestled in the EU, has been undergoing a rapid phase of urbanization. The country’s growth and development are reflected in the evolution of the work culture. Today, Hungary, like most other European cultures, is a sought-after career destination because of the potent opportunities and stellar work-life balance.
If you wish to pursue a career in Hungary, securing a work visa is central to achieving that goal. Read on as Wego guides you on the steps, requirements and procedures pertaining to obtaining a Hungary work visa.
Table of Contents
Do I need a Hungary work visa?
If you are a citizen of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA), you do not require a work visa to be employed in Hungary. However, if you are neither a citizen of these regions, you will need to obtain both a residence permit and a work visa (also known as a work permit) in order to work legally in Hungary.
A residence permit is mandatory for anyone seeking employment in Hungary. You can obtain a residence permit for various purposes, including:
- residence permit for the purpose of seasonal employment
- residence permit for the pursuit of gainful activity
- residence permit for employment
- residence permit for professional workers
Hungary work visa types
There are various types of work visas available for application in Hungary, contingent on your qualifications and preferences. Below are some examples of the work visas issued in Hungary:
- employment visa: This is the most commonly issued work visa in Hungary. It is designed for individuals who have received a job offer or are employed by a Hungarian employer or company
- private business visa: Tailored for individuals seeking legal authorization for self-employment or to assume the role of an executive officer in a for-profit business
- seasonal work visa: Geared towards individuals planning to move to Hungary for seasonal employment purposes. Applicants should possess the right to free movement and residence according to Hungarian law
- highly qualified professional workers – Hungary EU Blue Card: This distinct residence permit facilitates both residence and employment in Hungary for highly skilled professional workers. It serves as an excellent choice for those who meet the specified criteria
Hungary work visa requirements
Here is the list of general documents required to be submitted for the issuance of a Hungary work visa:
- passport valid for at least 3 months, issued in the last 10 years, with 2 free pages
- visa form: Complete and sign accurately, noting the stay period. You need to fill out a form for a residence permit as well as a work visa
- photo: Attach 2 recent color photos (3.5×4.5 cm) with white background, taken in the last 6 months
- medical insurance: Present valid insurance or get 30-day coverage of €30,000 if needed.
- for employment or private business:
- employment: Include diploma, initial agreement, and employer-prepared docs
- private Business: Lawyer-prepared documents as per Hungarian law
- accommodation details:
- own place: Include ownership documents and property records for the last month
- rented place: Attach the rental agreement and property records for the last month
- relatives/friends: If staying with relatives or friends, provide an invitation letter in Hungarian, along with details about the host and guests, along with copies of the host’s residence card and property records for the last month
- financial proof:
- job holders: Original workplace reference and e-government work reference if applicable
- individual private businessmen: Translated company registration, Ministry of Tax letter
- individual private entrepreneurs: Translated statement from the registry
- additional documents:
- passport pages
- Schengen visas for the past 3 years, if applicable
- ID card, medical insurance
- flight tickets
- marriage certificate, if applicable
All documents should be in A4 format, and scanned documents from Hungary are acceptable. It’s important to note that the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing might request additional documents.
Hungary work visa application process
In the majority of cases, your employer in Hungary is responsible for initiating and obtaining the Hungary work visa on your behalf. Prior to initiating the visa application process, there are specific steps that the employer must follow, outlined as follows:
- advertise the job in the Hungarian Labor Office for 15 days, allowing Hungarian nationals to apply
- submit a valid manpower request to the regional labor center branch after this period. Note that Hungary has quotas for foreign employees, with work permits for foreigners not exceeding the previous year’s average worker requests by employers
- choose between the general or simplified procedure for work permit application, depending on the type of work visa your employee is eligible for
- for the application, the employer will need the employee to fill out this application form and submit it with the documents stated above to a Hungarian embassy
- expect the labor center’s final decision on the work permit within 10 to 30 days after the application
- upon approval, receive a resolution issued by the labor center
Hungary work visa validity
The validity of a work visa varies based on the specific type of visa you are applying for. For instance, a seasonal work visa holds a validity of 6-12 months, while other categories of work visas can span from 1 to 2 years or even 3 years.
Should you desire to prolong your employment in Hungary beyond the initial visa duration, you can apply for a work permit extension. This application should be lodged 30 days prior to the expiration of your current work permit, accompanied by all requisite documents.
Hungary work visa fees
The fee for a Hungary work visa is EUR 110. You can make the payment for the work visa fee at a diplomatic or consular mission, the client service office of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (NDGAP), or electronically through NDGAP’s electronic information system.
Hungary work visa post-issuance obligations
After being granted a Hungary work visa, there are some obligations you need to fulfill:
Register your place of accommodation in Hungary within three days using the standard form. The registration process takes place at the regional directorate (branch) of jurisdiction, where you’ll need to refer to your specific accommodation location.
Health insurance card application
Once you have obtained your work visa, you have to apply for your health insurance card. The health insurance card, also known as the Társadalomizosítási Azonosító Jet (TAJ Card), can be acquired from the local health authority in your residential area. Importantly, there is no fee associated with this procedure.
Employment contract notifications
As part of your obligations, it’s necessary to notify the immigration authority responsible for the location of your accommodation of changes in your work permit conditions, such as when your employment relationship concludes and when you begin a new similar contract subsequently. This notification is required within five days of either of these events.