If you apply to come to or remain in the UK, we want you to know that if your application is straightforward (for example, we can make a decision on it without asking you for more information) it will be decided within our processing times (our customer service standards).
Under the European regulations EEA nationals and their EEA national family members can choose to apply for a registration certificate or document certifying permanent residence as confirmation of their rights; however they are not obliged to do so. Decisions about applications are usually made as soon as possible following submission of the application, appropriate fee and proof that the EEA national has the right of residence.
The service we offer
Our service standard processing times for standard applications (6 months or 8 weeks depending on application type) will start when we receive your application.
For 10 day priority and standard applications, the service standard begins on the date of application and ends when the decision is complete.
For 24 hour super priority service the service standard will start when you submit your biometrics. The service standard will end when we send our decision to you. The times include registering your biometric information, if needed, at a participating Post Office.
Super priority 24 hour service
For added value appointments at our commercial partner attended on a Saturday or Sunday, the appointment will be deemed as attended on the next working day. In most cases this will be a Monday but where there is a bank holiday it will be Tuesday. For example, a Saturday 11:30 appointment (30 minute appointment) will be deemed as attended on Monday at 11:30 and the decision completed and despatched within 24 hours.
When you apply:
- our staff will be thorough and polite, and will treat you with dignity
- our information will be in plain language and accurate
- we will provide you with a detailed response to an enquiry
- we will keep your personal details confidential and handle information about you in line with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (we may need to share it with third parties but only if lawful and necessary)
What we need from you
To deal with your application within the service standards, we need you to make sure that:
- your application is made before your current visa expires
- your application is completed accurately
- you include any required photographs
- you provide evidence of funds to maintain yourself if required on the application form and guidance
- you enrol your biometric information and respond to any requests for further information by the dates we ask you
- if you attend your appointment at our commercial partner or Service and Support Centre, you submit the original documents with your application
- if your application is made on a paper form:
- it is signed and dated and made on the correct form, submitting your original documents
- you have included the payment and any cheque is signed and dated for the full fee
If your application is straightforward, we will make a decision on it within the standard processing time. There is no need to ask us for progress on it.
If we can’t make a decision within the service standards
If there is a problem with your application or if it is complex, we will write to explain why it will not be decided within the normal standard. We will write within the normal processing time for the 8 week standard and within 12 weeks for the 6 month standard. The letter will explain what will happen next.
If you have applied for a super priority 24 hour or priority 10 day service we will contact you within the service standard if there is a problem with your application.
The service standard will only apply to complete applications. If the application is incomplete at the time of the appointment the caseworker will consider whether the case should be excluded from the service standard.